Rainy Days in Zurich are here and although we want to curl up with a good book, we all know the grey skies and chilly weather won’t stop our little mini me from saying “where to momma??” as they hop, skip and bounce around the house with energy we only dream of having!
We recently visited the Umwelt Arena and highly recommend it as a family fun day out. You can easily spend 3 – 4 hours learning, playing and (most importantly) escaping the inevitable cold weather heading our way!
The Umwelt Arena
The Umwelt Arena is a family-friendly adventure teaching real-life sustainability lessons through fun, interactive programming. It focuses on the areas of nature and life, energy and mobility, construction and modernization and renewable energy.
To give all these big people “problems” a twist of little people fun, the Museum provides children with a clipboard, pen and checklist directing them towards kid friendly stations marked by an oversized green & orange numbered display stand and educational question, giving it a bit of a scavenger hunt feel.
The various stations offer educational, interactive displays with the intent to teach through play. Siblings can challenge one another to an energy-producing bike race, direct solar cars around a mini track and hop in & out of e-cars.
Descriptions are in German, but there’s some English narrated tutorials and most staff speak English so definitely don’t be shy to ask for an explanation. We’d love to go back and do a tour in English to really get the full comprehension of all the displays.
Top 5 Reasons we Love Umwelt Arena
1. Touch, Slide & Play. While most of the exhibitions are best for kids ages 5+, little ones can get their wiggles out too. The top floor features hands-on, educational exhibits like the energy lighting slide, a musical kegelbahn, a hydroelectric water pump, a “strike a pose” food waste photo booth, a kinetic energy marble race and more.
2. Fun for Mom & Dad. Did you ever want to try a segway, big scooter, cargo e-bike or e-car? Well, hop on in and buckle up! Try Europe’s number 1 selling EV, the Renault ZOE 100% electric car or reserve online a BMWi3 for an outdoor 45-minute road test.
3. Real Brands. Real Life. Many of the displays are sponsored by everyday companies. You’ll see brands like IKEA, Nespresso, ZKB, ZOE and COOP. It’s really interesting to learn how these companies are incorporating sustainability into their campaigns and what you can take away from the museum to intergrate into your daily life.
4. Scoot, Pedal & Ride. A big highlight is the 300m indoor parcourse. Ages 5+ can hop on a go-kart, Elliptigo, tandem peddler, tricycle, street stepper, scooter and oh so many fun 2 and 4 wheeled rides we’d never seen before. Younger kids can hop in with mom & dad on an emotion cargo e-bike or they can give it a spin in the 5 & under area – it’s small, but perfect for 2-3 year olds who want to let loose on a VW or Audi bobby car and balance bike. There’s helmets for all and the line is controlled so only a certain number of riders can go at a time. Be sure to check the course times when planning your visit as they alternate with the e-car testing.
5. Celebrate Birthdays Umwelt Style. Kids ages 5 – 10 can host their birthday party at the Umwelt Arena. The 90-minute program includes a guided Treasure Hunt, Indoor Parcourse Experience and Craft Time. Catering may be ordered through the Arena or enjoyed in the picnic area.
Zuri Girl Tip
There’s a few great ways to save on the entrance fair
– ZKB Cardholders get 20% off
– COOP Cardholders get 20% off
– Bring an old cellular phone for donation and get free entry!
Plan My Visit
Where: Türliackerstrasse 4, 8957 Spreitenbach (map)
When: Wednesday – Sunday | 10.00 – 17.00
Cost: Adults CHF 18 | Kids ages 6+ CHF 13 | Many discounts available