Don’t let the rain get in the way for a fun day trip to the outskirts of Luzern to visit the 200-year old Glasi Hergiswil.
A perfect idea for out of town guests, discover an indoor / outdoor glass factory spread across several buildings nestled in a quaint lakefront village. With live glass-blowing demonstrations, interactive glass discovery stations, a fairytale of fairytales stage, hands-on (wait mouth-on) self glass blowing activity, an actual glass maze, a historical museum and more it’s totally ideal for young & young at heart.
Top 5 Reasons we Love Glasi Hergiswil
1. Franc Savvy Free. Ok, slightly misleading title, but we honestly spent 2.5 hours exploring and didn’t pay for a thing! You can upgrade and run through the maze, tour the museum and blow your own ornament, but there’s a ton of fun to be had without spending a franc too.
2. The Marble Slide. Outdoors discover a fun, interactive playground with a climb aboard green dragon, sand pit and 7-meter marble slide – so much fun to watch the marble run from the top outlook point.
3. Don’t Touch…It’s Glass (NOT!). There’s over 70 hands-on discovery stations involving glass. So much fun did we have guessing which tunes the whistling glasses were playing and if we only looked as good as the skinny (trick) mirror reflected!
4. Never to Early for Christmas Shopping. Gift shop stop is a must. Grandparents will love the framed photo & souvenir glass ornament that little Jonny made himself while your newly married sister will love her initials engraved on a glass carafe.
5. Coffee or Cocktail. Either way they’re served lakefront! Practically touching the most picturesque lake, enjoy the outdoor cafe with it’s beautiful view. Chatting over your drink of choice, antsy sitters can have a go at the water experiments, but trust us, you’ll be intrigued to try too!
Zuri Girl Tip
The SBB has a combi-offer with up to 20% savings on train & entrance fees.
The day we visited, there was a lot of parking spots just steps away from the factory.
The exhibition signs, theatre show, etc are in German, but it’s fairly easy to navigate most of them so don’t be shy.
Zuri Mom Tip
Not super stroller friendly. It’s definitely doable, but a backpack carrier is a better option here.
Seestrasse 12, 6052 Hergiswil (map)
+41 41 632 3232 | Glasi Website
Open: Monday to Friday 9.00 – 18.00 | Saturday 9.00 – 18.00 | Closed Sundays
For more ideas on what to do with guests in town, check out Visitors? We have your travel plans!
Select photos courtesy of Glasi Hergiswil