Exhausted by the irresponsibility of the textile & clothing industries, Social Fabric founder Heather Kirk mixed her artistic & academic sides to create a community atelier to provide textile knowledge, facilities, equipment, and sustainable materials to unleash our creative sides.
Here’s the scoop ladies…
Why we Love Social Fabric
1. Dynamic. Recently opened in January 2015, they continue to add new offerings like pattern making, beginner’s sewing, tailoring, textile printing and dyeing and upcyling.
2. Responsible. Heather created a refugee sewing programme and is also building an inventory of sustainably made fabrics…creating grassroots programs locally for a greater cause.
3. Franc Savvy. Heather is passionate about growing an all-inclusive community where everyone can participate and encourages this with affordable courses and soon to be launched memberships.
How to Get Involved
1. Learn. Social Fabric offers courses, workshops, and will be launching memberships in January, 2016. If you were born to stitch or have never threaded a needle, there’s a seat for you at their large, creative and bright workspace.
2. Wear. Heather and her team will be at the Fashion Hotel from 9 – 11 October creating made-to-measure t-shirts. Visit their room, get your measurements, pick your fabric and voila…Your t-shirt is ready to wear!
3. Support. A crowd-funding campaign, We Make It, launched on 14 September to purchase industrial sewing machines and continue the Refugee Training Program. Help them out ladies!
Mark Your Calendar
Upcoming courses include:
– Introduction to Sewing for Beginners – September 29
– Textile Dyeing – October 7
Eichstrasse 29, 8045 Zurich (map)
Article sponsored by Social Fabric