Conveniently located in the beautiful Jungfrau region, Mürren is a charming little village that maintains the traditional Swiss atmosphere of centuries ago. In addition to the picturesque mountain views and relaxing silence of a car-free town, one of the best parts about visiting the town is that your pooch will be warmly welcomed!
We know your dog is an important part of your family so Zuri Girl got the inside scoop on the dog-friendly town of Mürren. Escape from the noise of the big city for a winter weekend with the whole family and a few helpful recommendations on where to stay, where to dine and what to do.
Enjoy ladies & 4 legged friends!
How to Get There
From Zurich, Mürren is only 3 hours each way with trains departing every 30 minutes. Though at first glance you may be scared about taking your dog on through several transfers on public transport, the rides are easy and have been done by many dogs before without any problems so you can relax and enjoy. Dogs of any size are welcome on SBB trains as long as they are on a leash or in a carrier. You can purchase their tickets as a second-class half fare and a whole-day GA ticket is just CHF32 (or, if your very small dog can fit in a small hand carrier, s/he can come along for free). But be aware, your dog won’t be warmly welcomed in train cars that offer meals so be sure to bring some snacks for both of you if you think you might get hungry.
Where To Stay
The hotels here have the charm of an old-world Swiss Chalet and many of them are dog-friendly. And one great thing about the hotels is that they always provide a deep clean so you’ll never get the feeling another dog has stayed in your room. These four hotels in particular tout their pet-friendly services:
- Hotel Alpenruh (3 stars): Located on the sunny terrace of Mürren, this chalet-style hotel has gorgeous views with friendly service and a convenient location next to the Schilthorn railway. Bonus: The restaurant in Hotel Alpenrug has an excellent Grappa (schnapps) assortment.
- Hotel Jungfrau (3 Stars): Located next to a ski school that has direct access to the ski slopes & hiking, this hotel is a skiers dream. All rooms have free internet and south-facing rooms have a balcony and mountain views. This hotel also offers a lounge and cozy fireplace area. Bonus: When staying at this hotel, you get free entrance to the indoor pool at the town sports center and reduced-prices for the ice-skating rink.
- Hotel Bellevue (3 stars): Located along hiking paths, guests can practically ski up to the front door. This Bed & Breakfast also provides balconies, sun-terraces, and lawn areas to fully enjoy the beautiful views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains.
- Hotel Eiger Guesthouse (2 stars): This Guesthouse offers cozy newly-renovated rooms and is also conveniently located near the Schilthorn railway with views of the mountains. The hotel has a bar with good prices for the cost conscious. Bonus: The game room in this hotel has Mürren’s only billiards table.
What To Do
Mürren offers everything you’d want when going to the mountains with many outdoor activities in the area, such as: cross-country skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, ice skating, sledding, curling and ski trails. Highly recommended for you and your dog is the Grütschalp alpine walking trail a 1.5 – 2 hour that has beautiful and scenic views of the mountains, including the Jungfrau and the Schilthorn (of James Bond fame). You’ll meet many other four-legged friends on the trail who are happy to play.
Want some time to yourself while your partner takes the dog? There is also the newly-renovated Alpine Sportscenter that includes a new wellness center in which you can relax and unwind with saunas, steam rooms, a Kneipp area, and quiet relaxation zone. For those who want to stay active and fit, they also have a weight room, tennis courts and indoor swimming pool there.
Where To Dine
After a day packed with refreshing winter sports and relaxing time spent outdoors, nothing can satisfy your hunger better than traditional Swiss mountain foods, which is what many of the restaurants serve here. From fondue to schnitzel to bratwursts to rösti, you’ll be able to find something for everyone in Mürren and no restaurant will disappoint. The majority of restaurants are also extremely welcoming to your dog. They’ll often come out to greet your dog, providing a bowl of water and some affection. Your dog will love to spend the evening with you, sitting under the table and patiently waiting for a tasty chunk to fall into their watering mouths.
Zuri Girl Insider Tips
- If you check the weather on your iPhone app, the temperature is being measured from the top of the mountain and will look much colder than it is. To get an accurate temperature read, visit the official Swiss weather website here.
- If you want to ski as a family, kids can get a free ski pass on Saturdays this season with the purchase of an adult ski pass. Click here for more details.
This article was created in collaboration with
and supported by Switzerland Tourism.
The site www.MySwitzerland.com provides excellent resources and holiday inspirations. If you’d like a copy of their Switzerland Activation Kit complete with information, maps and brochures, please email your name, post address and country of origin to info@myGirlfriendGuide.com.
Article contributed by Zuri Girl: Lisa Christen. Lisa’s blog The Honeymoon Life chronicles her attempt to spend every day living a life as fun, happy, exciting, and loving as her honeymoon was! Lisa is an expat originally from the US who moved here to join her Swiss husband (whom she often embarrasses in her posts).