Regardless how much you adore your family, 72 hours with in-laws, teenage nieces and ex-colleagues can be as challenging as a pregnant gals 9 months ohne wine! Consider the ZürichCARD your fairy godmother – transforming days of staring at your tiny apartment’s 4 walls to days packed with exploration. The ZürichCARD invites you and your guests to discover Zurich’s best museums, culture, attractions, shops, dining and nightlife in a convenient and inexpensive way.
Why we love the ZürichCARD
There is no other discount like this available in Zurich! Offers are overwhelming with options to:
- Ride FREE on trams, buses, trains, boats, cableways and funiculars in zones 10, 11, 21, 40, 50, 54 and 55 (for those that don’t know your zones too well, this includes the airport and Uetliberg)
- FREE entrance to 40+ museums
- Shop with a 10% discount at 14+ shops including ZuriGirl’s favorite chocolate connoisseur shop, Truffe
- Dine at 15+ restaurants and receive a ‘special surprise’ that can range from a welcome drink to a mouth-watering appetizer. We did some research on what exactly this means and one user of the ZürichCARD reported their welcome drinks ranged from orange juice to a vodka cocktail!
We’ve asked our girlfriends to see if they’ve tried the ZürichCARD before and if it was valuable…surprisingly, many reported they were curious but never actually purchased the ZürichCARD. Some thought the museums would be difficult to navigate due to the foreign language their guests would not be comfortable with… this is fortunately not true. Most of Zurich’s museums have exhibits in various languages, including English. For maximum value, purchase the 72 hour ZürichCARD, as you can maximize 3 days of exploration for only double the price of the 24-hour card!
An example of a tourist’s 24-hour itinerary and the costs saved:
11.00: Photos and picnic lunch atop Ueliberg: CHF 12
15.00: Souvenir Shopping (chocolate and t-shirt): 30
16.00: Kunsthaus Museum: CHF 14
09.00: Return airport transfer from HB: CHF 6.20
Total cost: CHF 62.20
Total cost with ZuriCARD: CHF 47
The ZürichCARD is fairly flexible offering the following features:
- May be activated for 24 or 72 hours
- May be purchased online or at multiple city locations
- May be purchased in advanced and validated later (making it a perfect gift!)
Quoteable Quotes about the ZürichCARD:
“For a whirlwind Visit, consider the ZürichCARD” –Rick Steves
“It’s worth every Franc, it’s the best deal…best wishes and have a great time in Zurich!” – HP
“I trust Rick Steves, so when he suggested…that travelers should pick up a ZürichCARD, I listened…I purchased a 72-hour card, and I am very glad I did” – J. Eisenlau
An idea is born…
Launched in April 2003 the ZürichCARD was introduced to make Zurich and its attractions more easily accessible for tourists. The idea with the word ‘CARD’ was to include all discounts and advantages:
C = City Transportation
A = Attractions & Museums
R = Restaurants
D = Diverse offers
Nowadays the ZürichCARD includes almost 90 different offers from transport to culture, shopping and gastronomy and is an inspiring and inexpensive tool to explore the city of Zurich. Not just used by tourists, the card is also used by locals and it makes a great gift.
Helpful information and links…
ZuriGirl tip: Overseas travelers are usually a bit jetlagged on their arrival day so postpone validating the card until a day or two prior to your guest’s departure. This way they have plenty of energy to explore and can utilize the inclusive return airport transfer.
Order Online Now: Prices 2011